No Small Feat
The drama program at Liahona Preparatory Academy located at 2464 W. 450 S. in Pleasant Grove, Utah wins in a big way over the weekend of April 22-23 clinching the Overall State Championship at the UHSAA 1A State Theatre Competition at the Sevier Valley Center in Richfield. Nearly 20 1A schools brought teams. This is especially intriguing as this is Liahona’s first year participating in theatre with the UHSAA. It is also intriguing as Liahona has one of the smallest student bodies in the state (51 High-School Students) but one of the largest teams (33 students).
This drama program at Liahona is unique in that there is no stage to use for practices; the common area in the main hall serves as stage left, right, and center for students practicing anywhere from 2-5 days a week depending on upcoming competitions and performances and the school’s history room is turned into a black-box theatre for performances.
Theatre teacher Jordan Long’s older brother Joshua Long is the theatre teacher at Hillcrest High-School that won the 4A competition this year as well. In fact, at the National Shakesepeare Competition in Cedar City, the Long Brother’s brought home the Championship Trophy from 3 of the 6 divisions between Hillcrest High-School, Liahona’s High-School team and Liahona’s Jr. High Team. Jordan and Josh’s little sister Jeanelle is a former state champion herself and assists Liahona’s team. Little sister Joleah is a freshman at Liahona and took 2nd in state in her category this year.
Full List of Honors at State:
Overall State Champions
- 1st Place Humorous Monologue: Lincoln Stone
- 1st Place Musical Theatre: Sussanah Castleton
- 1st Place Dramatic Monologue: KyAnne Davis
- 2nd Place Dramatic Monologue: Zachary Hanks
- 2nd Place Classical Scene: Joleah Long, Madelyn Barkdull, Gabriel Leavitt
- 2nd Place Contemporary Scene: Trev Davis, Taralyn Rudd
- 3rd Place Contemporary Scene: Anthony Madsen, Avery Rindlisbacher
- 3rd place One-Act Play
- Best Actor in a One-Act: Joseph Rowley
- Best Actress in a One-Act: Sussanah Castleton